Accidents happen every day. From automobile accidents to injuries in the workplace, there’s no telling when these unfortunate events will happen. If you’re injured in an accident and you feel that a certain someone or a specific company didn’t take the necessary steps needed to prevent the accident, you may want to consult with a personal injury lawyer. This law specialist will be able to guide you through the complicated steps of a lawsuit or a settlement agreement. While some people have a general understanding of what a personal injury lawyer does, many do not. That’s why, in this blog, we’re going to discuss the reasons you may want to hire a personal injury lawyer, and what they will do to help you win your case.
At Westphal Law Group in San Bernardino, our personal injury lawyers have more than 25 years of legal practice experience. If you’ve been injured in an accident or by the negligence of others, you may be entitled to a monetary settlement. Our law office is committed to helping you receive the settlement and compensation you deserve. If you’re interested in learning more about how we can help your case, contact us today.
When Should I Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer?
When you’ve been injured in an accident, such as a car crash, bike or motorcycle wreck, slip and fall, or any other type of mishap, you may want to consider calling a personal injury lawyer. While not all injuries require the use of a lawyer, if your pain lasts longer than a few days or you need to seek medical attention, it may be wise to hire one. If your injury has led you to hospitalization, surgery, physical therapy, chiropractic work, cosmetic surgery, or rehabilitation, you may be owed a considerable amount of compensation.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law covers a myriad of situations in which a person’s body, mind, or emotions have been hurt, often due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness. It can include cases of wrongful death, and even situations where an injury proves fatal. Also known as tort law, personal injury law begins when the injured person, known as the plaintiff, sues a person or business, also know as the defendant. During a personal injury claim, the defendant is accused of causing the plaintiff’s injury. More often than not, the plaintiff will demand compensation, usually in the form of a money payment known as damages. Some common personal injury cases include:
- Car accidents, including accidents with large trucks, motorcycles, and pedestrians.
- Consumer product liability cases. This may include defective products, medications, and recalled products.
- Injuries caused by animals, such as a dog bite.
- Injuries that result from ultrahazardous activities such as the use of chemicals or explosives.
- Slip and fall injuries and other forms of premises liability.
What Does A Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
When you hire a personal injury lawyer, they will everything in their power to reach a fair and reasonable settlement for your case. Since you only have two years from the date of the accident to follow a lawsuit, it’s important to be cognizant of this short period of time. Your personal injury lawyer will work to:
- Help you accurately document everything to prove your pain and suffering.
- Bring an objective, yet knowledgeable perspective to your case.
- Keep an eye on all of the legal timing and procedures to ensure all of your documents have been filed on time.
- Determine when the defendant’s evidence may be suspect.
- Guide you through the negotiation, mediation, and potential trial.
We hope that this article has given you a better understanding of what a personal injury lawyer does, and the benefits of hiring one. If you live near San Bernardino and you’re looking for an experienced and professional personal injury attorney, contact the Westphall Law Group today.